As leaders, we’re always looking for new ways to motivate our employees. Here are my top 5 tips:
- Community is key. Make it your mission to have all of your employees connected to one other, as well as the business. When the workplace is pleasant, the company will be more efficient and your employees will enjoy what they do.
- Offer developmental opportunities for employees to expand their skills. If an employee stays in the same role for too long, they may feel stagnant and look for new opportunities elsewhere. Make additional training a priority, not an option.
- Encourage employees to work for a cause, not just a company. When your employees feel like they are working towards a bigger purpose, they are likely to put more effort into their work. Do this by sharing anecdotes relating to what they do.
- To receive respect, you must give respect. When employees are treated considerately, they have more incentive to produce great work. An employee who feels belittled will not be motivated to succeed. Respect goes a long way.
- Rewards! Everyone loves to be acknowledged for a job well-done, so host a company party or send out notes of appreciation. Employees are happiest, and most motivated, when they see their hard work paying off.